Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Route Map Stage One - SE Asia & China



Stage one of the ride will begin in Phuket, Thailand  from where I will head up the Andaman coast and into the bustling SE asian metropolis of Bangkok.

Leaving Bangkok my route heads northeast through the old capital Ayutthaya, Kham Ping, Udon Thani and finally into Laos at Vientiane. In Laos the scenery promises to become more heavily forested, with karsk mountains and a reputedly relaxed and welcoming populous. I will ride the popular route up the national highway, through historic Luang Phrabang, and passing through Pak Mong, Udomxai and the Banna forrest finishing in Mohan on the Chinese border.


Once across the Chinese border I will be in Yunnan province, home to the richest temperate forests on earth. I have deliberately avoided looking at too many photographs of this region, but I know it will be an amazing ride. In Yunnan I will pass through the towns of Jinghong, Shangyun, Lincang and finish in Dali. That will be the end of the SE asian leg. I expect it to take around 60 days, and should total about 3400km.

No comments:

Post a Comment