Friday, January 1, 2010

THAILAND - BEST FOOD

Tom yum kung - this hot and sour soup is different everywhere you go, but there are some really good ones around. This one here I had in Thong Sala on Koh Pha Ngan (noodle house opposite the main hospital), and it was delicous, thick and full of flavour. Thai food is amazing when its done right, and this is not as common as I would like. I've had two excellent green curries, and maybe 5-6 average milky looking ones. The best are dark green. This vendor stood in stark contrast to many other food vendors on the island. At one point I thought any mainlander who can turn on a stove and wield a spoon must have setup shop here, as some of the food I had was apalling. A three ingredient Pad Thai I ate about two bites of stands out. Reminds of the time I ordered a pancake in Vietnam and the young guy working there gave me a strange look, then returned ten mintues later with an absolute abomination, that more closely resembled scrambled eggs.

Gai Yang Kow - BBQ chicken with sticky rice. Very much a staple of my diet in Thailand. Not terribly interesting. It's really easy to order and you always know what your getting. You can cycle a long way on this stuff and very filling. 

Som Tam Gai Yang - Green papaya salad with grilled chicken. Like most dishes, very hit and miss. Ranges from horribly fishy, with too much chilli for a farang belly, to light and balanced with a mild dressing. Available almost everywhere in Thailands Northeastern Region, known as Isaan.  


No comments:

Post a Comment