Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sang Khom to Nong Khai - 105km


Sang Khom was an unexpected delight. A fitting end to my stay in Thailand, sleeping in the thatched bungalow next to the Mekong was one of the more memorable nights I've had. With nothing but the 'eh-ow' of geckos to break the silence I had a great nights sleep and was well up for another 100km this morning. The km's came easily today, and knowing it was my last day in Thailand I stopped regularly at roadside eateries. I don't really like thrusting my camera in peoples faces, but I bought a green coconut drink from this woman today, and her laughter and smile was so infectious. I had to try and get a picture as she prepared my coconut, you can just make it out from the side view. It must be people like this upon which Thailand built its reputation as the land of smiles. I think one of the greatest benefits of bike touring has to be the roadside stopovers and small towns that you go to, not really expecting much you can find some really lovely places.

So after banana pancakes, pad thai, grilled chicken and sticky rice, amongst other snacks and beverages I arrived in Nong Khai. It has all the chrams of the smaller Mekong towns, but with a bigger backpacker scene. Unfortunately so too have come a handful of go-go bars and ageing sex tourists that kind of strip away its character. I'm down to my last 700baht, having withdrawn 15,000 ($500 AUS) quite some time ago I managed to string it out all the way to my final stop in Thailand. All things going to plan I will have a short ride across the frienship bridge to Vientiane in the morning, where I will hunt down a new chain and a few other supplies to keep me going into China.


No comments:

Post a Comment