Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cabin on Highway 12 to Nakhon Thai - 59km

Continued along the green route for an hour or so before I hit a savage climb tlasting 2-3km.  The climb ended right at the turnoff to Nakhon Thai (route 2013 - or the 68km marker if your following the 'green route' map) and was also home to a string of roadside eateries. Gone it seems are the hygenically plastic wrapped offerings of seven eleven I had come to rely on. BBQ chicken and sticky rice is always easy on the stomach, so I went for that, and as I ate caught the attention of a group of midday drunkards that were enjoying a lavish spread just nearby. I sat down and went through the usual, where you come from, where you going parlava, and tried to get my food down as quickly as possible without succumbing to the whisky fuelled revellerly, as much as I would liked to had I been finished for the day. Route 2013 continues on its undulating path for 30km, at which point you will find yourself in Nakhon Thai, a modest township with scant accomodation options it would seem. Another blog spoke of a no-name guesthouse somewhere in the vicinity, so I went about the business of asking all and sundry for directions to it. I was pointed every which way for the best part of an hour, before I resovled to find the pharmacy the blogger spoke of, whom had given him directions to the said lodgings. I eventually found the pharmacy, and she did speak english, just as the blogger claimed. The lady suggested I try somewhere 2km down the road on the left. On the first sortie I had no luck, not suprising as it looked nothing like a hotel and there was no sign, so I returned and she kindly lead me down there on her motorbike. Not the cleanest place I've slept so far, but it will do for one night. I pulled in just before a rain storm set in. Away in the distance a small group of moutains loomed as a taste of things to come. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention I found the most amesome little lizard crawling around on a log behind the cafe. Never seen anything like this before.






No comments:

Post a Comment