Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Bang Saphan Noi to Prachuap Khiri Khan - 106.8 km

I had to eat some of my emergency protein bars to get my legs working this morning. I was feeling terrible with so little sleep. I went along the coastal road until Bang Saphan Yai and then got back onto highway 4 until Thap Sakae where it started raining again. It was refreshing and I can't wait to escape the heat of Thailand and get to Laos and China. Later I passed a group of eight touring cyclists that didn't stop, I found out later they were probably part of a charity ride. The scenery was shiiite today again, I didn't stop anywhere for more than a couple of minutes, I just wanted to get to Prachuap Khiri Khan for some decent food.

Decent food I did find at the night market, and also a few travellers who were up for some beers. There was a really strange mix,  firstly me and another British guy who was biking the opposite direction, a decent couple of older travellers from Liverpool and a lively Irish guy. Then there was this ancient guy from Washington, a Vietnam veteran who kept bringing up really strange topics; for example he was rambling on about travel aboard 'tramp steamers', his criminal past in Washington before he joined the army, and biting the head off live snakes during the war amongst other oddities. There were also some older weasley looking types, slinking around with their young Thai girlfriends, and some other hardcore travellers lamenting that India is refusing to grant them a 9th tourist visa. You get all sorts in these strange in-between towns.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Davie,hows all going on your cycle??Hope your getting on good man.Just lookin through your pictures,looks amazing dude.All the best on the rest of you trip mate.Peace out!!
    Willie from Ireland/Phratuap Kiri Khan!!

    ReplyDelete