Sunday, January 24, 2010

Phitsanulok to Cabin on Highway 12 - 50km


In an attempt to make this bicycle journey more enjoyable, I have decided to cut back my daily distances. This way I won't be so tired by the end of the day, and should I happen to meet some other travellers I will able to keep pace, without falling asleep so early. This stretch of road saw the transisition from rice growing, back to forest with the odd farm dotted in between. The forest was home to some rather beautiful looking trees I've not seen before. Their saffron coloured flowers covered the road in many parts.According to the Phitsanulok Tourism Authority, the highway between Phitsanulok and Lom Sak is known as the green route. A favourite cruising area for Thai motorbike enthusiasts, and there are quite a few high end resorts catering to this market. I stopped at the Rainforest Resort, only to find that the cheapest rooms were a bit out of my budget (1800 baht). Before heading off I decided to ask one of the staff whether I was likely to find something a bit cheaper up towards the next village and she then revealed I could sleep in a cabin nearby the resort for 600 baht. The quality of the cabin didn't really justify the price-tag, but nonetheless I was happy not to have to keep riding, and settled in to a nice meal of green papaya salad and marinated bbq chicken, one of the better eating experiences I've had so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment