Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Afterthoughts.

Hrmm.... its over.Still cant believe my bike is broken.
Camped on Mount Sakurajima for a week (pictured above, I took this from a lookout spot above Kagoshima city), and passed the time fishing and hanging out with some musicians from Okinawa. For dinner I was going to visit the moon garamasala guesthouse. The owners are excellent cooks, just about 500 Yen for a delicious Okinawa style feast. They took me to a gig, and introduced me to the excellent music of Okinawa. Shoukichi Kina is a folk style artist, discovered by Ry Cooder and pretty much the only Okinawan folk singer to be heard outside Japan. 
After that I went hiking on Yakushima island for a week before I headed home. Cheapest option is the four hour ferry from Kagoshima. Take a tent and you can avoid the expense of youth hostels. Take a good one, and decent sleeping bag as the interior is very cold. Rains alomst non stop but, it's beautiful, one of the best hikes ive done. This sixteen frame panoramic photo was my favourite of the trip. This is where the Japanese animator Miyazaki was inspired to write Princess Mononoke. Yakushuma also harbours a real volcanic rotemburo set in rocks on the beach.

As a final word, if you are building a touring bike, I would urge you to get the strongest stuff available.This would equate to a steel framed mountain bike with fat tyres, 26" wheels, and possibly even lockable front suspension. The bike should be able to handle the worst conditions imaginable. I wouldnt change anything about the kit, it was pretty much perfect. Front panniers instead of the frame bag possibly. A solar charger would enable you to avoid ever staying in hostels, and this could bring the cost down even more. I'll be seeking one out for the next tour. Lots of light layers of clothing beats one really warm jacket too, as you can regulate your temperature much more easily. Thermals are a must for riding in cold wet weather.The EPIRB was probably a bit overkill, but it makes doing stuff solo a bit safer, and I was glad to have it with me.If you plan on camping alot consider a riding companion as it gets awfully boring if theres nobody else around.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

    Thanks!

    Mandie Hayes
    mandie.hayes10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete