Sunday, April 4, 2010

Yame County to Kumamoto City - 74km

Apologies for being offline so long, internet access, like many things doesn't come cheap in Japan. The average internet cafe charges a minimum fee of $15, so I've been forced to neglect the blog until an opportune time of free internet.

Casting my mind all the way back, Yame county was great. Dense forests on the way through to Kumamoto, and I was invited into someones house for lunch as I took shelter from the rain. They prepared a delicious feast of local fare, including imumanji, green tea soba, croquettes, sushi and then they made a snack pack of chocolates and fruit to keep me going. Such amazing hospitality, I was truly humbled by their generosity..The man of the house was an artist, so a tour of their small art studio ensued, and they told me to come back to visit anytime.

It was cold, and absolutely poured rain all day. My thermals kept me warm but I was soaked to the bone and decided to fork out $50.00 for a youth hostel in Kumamoto and then resolved not to do so again, at least for a few weeks. The rules are pretty tight in Japanese hostels compared to elsewhere in Asia. This one had a 10pm curfew and 8am checkout. I was also made to wipe the marks from my luggage before entering the rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment