Sunday, April 4, 2010

Kumamoto to Amakusa Unzen - 96km

Cold windy ride along the coast. Road shoulder periodically disappeared leaving me exposed to the perils of heavy traffic. There were some scenic patches, and blossoms were opening in some areas. There was a particularly nice harbour town that I forget the name of where I stopped for a bento box.. I sat and watched some birds of prey fishing, swooping back and forth over the harbour.. I was aiming for a camping ground adjacent to Amakusa Onsen, which turned out to be a sento (artificial onsen). I should have known from the articial palm tree out the front. Kind of disappointing as it was my first onsen experience, and I had been expecting what I now know is actually a rotemburo (open air bath), nonetheless it was a relaxing soak for just a few dollars. The nearby campsite was freezing cold, and for once I was glad to have a 4 season tent with -7 sleeping bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment