Saturday, February 20, 2010

Approaching China

Had my final dose of vero-rab the other day. According to the French doctor in Vientiane I could now be seriously mauled in China and go without a vaccine. As it happens my first stop in China, Yunnan Province, might well be a dog free zone, following events last year when governing authorities introduced a policy of wholesale slaughter against all non-military dogs. Initially owners were offered a 5 Yuan ($0.83 AUS) reward to kill their dogs, but when this failed a special task force went about the extermination of 50,000 dogs. Entrepeneurs in Thailand have apparently devised a more lucrative scheme, whereby their legions of stray dogs are rounded up and shipped to Vietnam where they sold off to restaurants. In my experience this isn't working as I've never seen more stray dogs anywhere than in Thailand. As a final note,  I'm told blogging has been outlawed in China, so I might not update until Japan.


1 comment:

  1. I didn't have any problems with Internet access being restricted in 2008. I think as long as you steer clear of controversial topics you'll be OK.

    ReplyDelete