Sunday, February 14, 2010

Luang Prabang to Pak Mong - 117km

Slightly disoriented leaving town, I think I added a good 10km to the day by missing the turnoff to the bridge. I was, under the directions of another blog expecting a flat day, and although there were no serious climbs I wouldn't call it flat. Road conditions took a turn for the worse after leaving LP, although it was mostly decent tarmac all the way. There are some nice views of the Nam Ou river for the first half of the day, and beyond that more villages where the pace of life is as slow as its ever been. I noticed an abundance of silk weaving going on in the villages, and I suspect they are supplying the busy markets of Luang Prabang where you can pick up a Lao silk scarf or table runner very cheaply.  The ride in total lasted just under six hours, and I was really, really exhausted when I arrived. So exhausted infact that when I emerged from my room after showering, I stumbled on the staircase and fell down the entire flight of stairs, my head crashing into the plaster at the bottom. It was a terrible way to end the day. I had taken the scab off my leg in the process, so I must have looked extremely sorry when the proprietors found me bleeding at the bottom of the stairwell. The accident meant I had to spend an extra 24 hours recuperating in the rather depressing town. I reclined in my room and read most of 'Mad About the Mekong', a recount of the French exploration of the Mekong in the 1860's. Purchased in V.V. of all places, I was glad to have it as entertainment, as Pak Mong has basically nothing to offer. I can't even describe to you how terrible some of the food offerings in the restaurants were. Most had trays of grey sludgy looking curries, full of wierd cuts of meat, sitting around all day getting fly blown and congealed. One place had a pile of bats tied together for sale, and the strange tinctures of animals parts soaking in liquids are beggining to make their appearance. Clearly I must be getting closer to China. I went for noodle soup 3 meals a day, and beyond that bananas and biscuits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment