Saturday, February 13, 2010

Phong Hong to Vang Vieng - 90km

I had, through some enquires, discovered the real price for a songthaew to Phong Hong is just $3-4, and as though sensing my resolve not get ripped for the third time, the first driver I approached quoted the real price straight away. Upon my arrival at the guesthouse I was greeted by Bart and Maree, a Dutch couple beginning a six week cycling tour of Laos and Northern Thailand. They would be the first of many Dutch cycling duos I would meet over the next few days, although they were all terminating at Luang Prabang and heading west via the Mekong river into Thailand. Everything was looking good for a trouble free day ahead, until I discovered that my cycling shoes were both beginning to fall apart. The sole of the right shoe was almost compeltely detached, and without them riding my bike would be impossible. I blamed all my woes on a piece of fashioned quartz a motorbiker had bestowed on me, for 'good luck' as I rode through a village outside Vientiane. I had experienced the opposite since having it in my possesion, so before departure I hurled it into the street.

Ride to Vang Vieng is easy, there are two small climbs, neither of which are worthy of mention.


No comments:

Post a Comment