Saturday, March 20, 2010

Fukuoka Japan

I got hold of some 'real' antibiotics in Fukuoka, the Dutch doctor advised me that Chinese pharmaceuticals are not always the real deal, the country being plagued with many bogus drug manufacturers. This would explain why my symptoms returned shortly after I was removed from the IV anti-biotics in the hospital. I bought some ridiculously expensive new antibiotics, disposed of the Chinese drugs, and it took me an extra few days to fully convalesce in Fukuoka. In the meantime I bought some parts and worked on the bike in the space I was given (2m square area of the arcade) near my hostel. With new bar tape and a few trimmings it was looking resplendant once more amongst the rest of the Japanese bikes.

Fukuoka very much reminded me of me Melbourne. It was quite bleak ugly by day, but at night it came to life. Obviously the Japanese people and signage provided a point of difference, but there was something very melbournesque about it. If i'd been less strapped for cash, in better health, and with some english speaking company I could have had a right good time exploring the numerous bars in the area.  Since this wasnt the case, I ate cheaply at convenience stores, photographed some of the bars, and tracked down 'Touring Mapple', that is apparently so essential for navigating in labrythine Japan. The Mapple turned up at a bookstore in Tenjin Core (A plaza near Tenjin Station). This place has a huge bookstore where you can buy basically any Japanese reading material you might require.

No comments:

Post a Comment