Saturday, March 13, 2010

Yongping to Mekong River Flophouse - 66km


Terrible, terrible day. Almost ruined the bike. Road was more like a quarry. They were mining rock from the steep cliffs straddling the road. I got stuck in 6 road blocks waiting for the dozers to clear piles of rubble , the worst of which held me up for two hours. I managed to negotiate through most  of the blockades by insisting I could carry my bike over the piles of rubble. One of the them was a little larger than I anticipated, and I almost slid down the sheer cliff face attempting to clamber across with my 40kg touring bike, it was so damn awkward.  Much to my relief a concerned worker ran to my aid and helped me across. Below is a sample of the road conditions you can expect while the 323 is under construction. Later in the day, whilst I neared the Mekong river huge explosions rocked the valley, just metres from where I was riding, gaping holes were being blown in the cliff face, and I was allowed to just wander on through as though it was perfectly safe. The lodgings as you cross the river are basic; dusty mosquitoe net hangs over a couple of mattresses, but there is nothing else until for at least 20km, and I was travelling at a speed of just 6-7km/h. The presence of an alsatian dog, going crazy in a cage out the front almost put me off going in. If your going this way the flophouse is the building directly next to the bridge. If you stand out the front next to the caged beast for long enough, the owner will emerge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment